Best Arm workouts for women - how to tone your arms
Are you looking for the best arm workouts for women? This article will tell you everything you need to know about best arm workouts for women. Before we get into it, let us have a look at a few basics first! Why should you exercise in the first place? Let us also have a look at a brief anatomy of the human arm to fully understand what you are doing!
Why you should exercise regularly
There are many health benefits to exercising regularly. This also applies for the best arm workouts for women! Let us have a look at a few of them now!
The best arm workouts for women are great here! It is no secret that that physical activity burns calories. If you exercise regularly, you will get rid of excess calories that you have taken in during the day. Remember though, that you should watch over the amount of calories that you eat! For women, the recommended amount is 1500 calories per day to lose wight! To maintain weight, you should eat 2000 calories a day!
Improving your memory
Your brain will have access to more oxygen during and shortly after a workout. Many studies have shown that your memory and learning abilities increase if you work out regularly!
Increased energy levels
Yes, at first this may seem a bit odd. After all, you should be tiring yourself out during your exercise! However, studies have proven that you will have more energy throughout the day if you exercise regularly. This also makes you more productive!
Less sick days!
Who really likes getting sick? And who has time for that? A study has shown that you can halve the chances of getting a cold simply by working out regularly!
Bonus tip here: go to a sauna afterwards. Steaming does wonders!
You will be happier!
Isn’t that just great? A study by the University of Bristol showed that peoples moods were significantly better on the days where they exercised! This means that regular exercises will always make sure that you stay happy!
Here are a few other benefits of exercising:
- You will live longer
- Relieve stress
- Boost confidence
- Have better posture
Exercise and sleep
One benefit of exercise is sleep. We have decided to highlight this because it is so often forgotten how important sleep is. If you think about it, you actually spend about a third of your lifetime sleeping!
It is the time for your body to get the rest it deserves and rejuvenate! If you exercise, you allow your body to destress, and get rid of excess energy.
Think of it as being able to refuel your car completely with fresh new gasoline (or electricity nowadays!).
One very important thing that is also often forgotten is that you need the right mattress in order to rejuvenate fully. Just like you need the right workout equipment, you will also need the right tools to get the sleep that you deserve.
Vita Talalay latex mattresses are the healthy choice, for both your mind and body. Our pure natural latex mattresses are made with sustainable and fair resources. One of our highest priorities is safety towards our clients, as well as the environment.
To learn more about Vita Talalay latex mattresses and its benefits, simply click here!
Basics about the arm
Let us have a look at some basics before we get into the best arm workouts for women!
The arm consists of 5 main muscles. Usually, people only refer to the first two when they are looking for arm workouts for women. Just to give you a quick overview, we thought we would show you which you are actually training!
The biceps are the large muscles around the upper arm. It lays on the bone called the humorous. The main function of this muscle is to rotate the forearm and flex the elbows. This will be one of the two main muscles which you will be training. To make it very simple: this is the muscle which Popeye likes to show off!
This is the second large muscle which you will be training! The triceps are the muscles around the back of your arm. Their main function is to help strengthen the arm. It is basically the big supporting muscle!
This muscle is located at the top of the forearm. It is close to the elbow! Its main function is to rotate the forearm. It does so inwardly and outwardly. In addition, it also flexes the forearm around the elbow!
Extensor carpi radialis longus
This is the large muscle that helps the wrist be able to move the way it does. In fact, it allows the wrist to move in many different directions. Here is a cool trick! Clench your fist and you will be able to see the muscle bulging out!
Technically, this muscle is part of the shoulder. However, this muscle is the one that controls the shoulders movements. Or at least most of them! This allows the arm to have the large variety of motion that it has!
What you should do before arm workouts for women
What you should always do before any arm workouts for women is warm up. So, before you get ready for the upcoming arm workouts for women, get ready to stretch your arms! Here are some of the best ones to do!
Arm Workouts for Women - Shoulder circles
Lift your shoulders to the same height as your ears. Then begin rotating forwards for about 10 repetitions. Repeat this backwards as well. You can do this with both shoulders at the same time, or one at a time. Make sure that only your shoulders are moving here. Your neck and chest shouldn’t be doing the work!
Arm Workouts for Women - Tricep Extensons
Grab a light weight, somewhere between 1kg and 5kg (between 2 and 10 lbs) will do the trick! While holding it with both hands, lift the weight above your head. You can do so sitting or standing. While keeping your shoulders steady, bend your elbows back. Then, lower the weight behind your head and lift the weight back up. Do about 3 sets of 10 and you’re good to go!
Arm Workouts for Women - Bicep Warm Up
For this warm up, take some light dumbbells. Hold one in each hand and sit backwards on a chair. Important is that you can rest your elbows. Begin this warm up with your arms curled in with the dumbbells at about shoulder height. Lower your arms until they are fully extended and lift them back up. All the way back to starting position! Do 3 sets of 10 as well and you’ll be fine!
Best arm exercises for women
As mentioned earlier, these best arm exercises for women will be focusing on the two main muscles on your arm. The best bicep exercises and best tricep exercises for women! However, we will also look at some shoulder exercises for women in a later section! Lets go toned women!
Best bicep exercises for women
Arm Workouts for Women - The Bicep Curl
- Stand with your feet apart. They should be about a shoulder-width apart. Take a dumbbell into your hand!
- Bend your elbow and pull the weight towards your shoulders. Do so with your palm facing forward.
- Now, lower your arm again and repeat as many times as you can!
Arm Workouts for Women - The Hammer Curl
- Stand straight with a dumbbell in each hand. Important here is that your palms are facing in.
- Now, curl the dumbbells up with the thumbs on top. Go all the way until you reach your shoulders.
- Lower them again to original position and repeat as many times as you can!
Arm Workouts for Women - Supinated Bicep Curls
- Stand with your feet apart. Do so about a shoulder-width apart.
- Hold your dumbbells in both hands. Make sure that your palms are facing you. Also make sure that your elbows are close to your body.
- While exhaling, flex your your elbows. Slowly raise your forearms towards your shoulders. Now, rotate your palms until they face the roof.
- Now inhale and slowly lower your forearms. You should bring them back to the initial position. Also, rotate your wrists once again until they face you.
- Repeat this as many times as you can!
Best tricep exercises for women
Arm Workouts for Women - The Tricep Push Up
- Get into push up position. Keep your arms straight, feet in the air and your knees on the floor! In this case, your arms should be closer together than during usual push ups. Also, your hands should be under your chest!
- Now, bend the arms and tighten your abs. Also bring your chest down to the floor. Keep your back straight in this process and your your upper arms to your sides.
- Get your arms back to the starting position. Repeat this as many times as you can!
Arm Workouts for Women - The Tricep Overhead Extensions
- Stand straight with your feet about your hip distance apart. Hole your dumbbells straight over your head. Make sure that your abs are tight and your spine is stretched long!
- Bend your elbows whilst lowering the dumbbells. Do so up to the base of your head. Make sure that your elbows are hugging in towards your head. They should also point forward!
- Now, extend your arms very long! Also, return them back to the initial position. Do so while letting tour triceps do the work!
Arm Workouts for Women - The Arm Press
- Lie on your left side. Make sure your legs are stacked and your knees bent. Now, place your left arm on your right shoulder.
- Press your right hand into the floor. Also, lift your torso and then extend your right arm. Make sure it is straight!
- Repeat this as many times as you can. Also make sure to switch sides!
Shoulder exercises for women
Arm Workouts for Women - Front Plate Raise
- Hold a weight plate right in front of your body.
- Raise the plate up to your shoulders.
- Lower the plate again very slowly.
- Repeat this as many times as you can!
Arm Workouts for Women - Side Lateral Raise
- Stand with dumbbells on both sides of your body. Make sure you hold them slightly towards the front!
- Raise your arms out the each side. Make sure to maintain a slight bend around the elbows. Raise up to your shoulders!
- Make sure you do this exercise very slowly. Also, make sure to go a weight lower than you usually lift. Repetitions are important here - not the weight!
How to tone arms without weights
Dont have weights or dumbbells at home? No problem, we’ve got you covered on how to tone arms without weights!
Arm Workouts for Women - The Push Up Punch
- Start out in a plank position. Make sure that your shoulders are over your wrists and that your feet are together. Also, make sure that your body is in a straight line!
- Whilst keeping your body straight, bend your arms and lower your body. All the way to the floor!
- Now, straighten your arms. Push your body back up into the plank position. Do so while you punch your right arm to the front!
- Put your hand back on the floor and lower back to the bottom of your push up.
- Repeat the same with the left arm.
- Repeat both with left and right arms as many times as you can!
Arm Workouts for Women - Tricep Dips
- Start this exercise while sitting. Make sure your knees are bent and on the floor. Now, place your hands behind you and under your shoulders. Also make sure that your finger is facing your hips.
- Lift your hips and stay!
- Now, bend you elbow back to a straight position. Use your triceps to move back up!
What you should do after arm workouts
There is nothing special what you should do after working on your arms. Simply do the same things you normally would after exercise!
Make sure to cool down and stretch again as well if you have the time. Very important is also to rehydrate as you will have most likely lost a lot of water!
If you are feeling hungry, opt to eat something with proteins in them to help your muscles rejuvenate! A great thing to eat here would be a banana!
If you consider yourself already a pro in working out and have done highly intensive training, wearing compression clothing is also recommendable!